January 31, 2009


Some days just beg to be blogged about. They have Palahniuk's "paperback potential." But other days are just too much to even form a coherent story.

Yesterday was the perfect storm of awful. In bed last night, the husband and I rated it as one of our three all-time worst days of our marriage. And by "in bed last night," I mean this morning, because we didn't get into bed until after 5 AM.

We started our day Friday at 5 AM with a trip to the fertility clinic. Everything looked good for a procedure next week. And then all sorts of little things started going wrong during our day, things barely worth mentioning save the fact that they all happened in a row: had to buy a new printer, knocked over a can of coke on the sofa and my knitting project, the garbage disposal broke, etc. We kept describing our day like this: Life FAIL. We just wanted the day to be over.

But around dinnertime, I started bleeding...and there's no earthly reason why I should be bleeding today. It was enough to make me nervous, and since it was a Friday night and I wouldn't be able to reach my doctor or nurse until Monday, we decided we'd better head to the ER. Luckily we ate dinner first, because we had no idea what we were in for.

I expected to be there until midnight. I didn't expect to be there until 4:30 AM. During that time, I had less than ten minutes of actual medical care -- take blood pressure, ask about my symptoms, quick pelvic exam -- and was eventually told...drumroll..."Geez, I don't know anything about fertility stuff, so just call your doctor Monday morning."

When we walked in the house to finally go to sleep, my husband's watch alarm went off. It had woken us up at 5 AM that morning to start our day, and he wryly announced it was ending our day as well.

Thanks to everyone who noted my offhanded Facebook status and checked on me. I am fine, apparently, even though I am still bleeding and don't know why or what this means.

Posted by Sarah at January 31, 2009 11:52 AM | TrackBack

Did you go to the ER on or off post? I went to a local hospital there once before we were married and it was just like that. Found out later I had a ruptured ovarian cyst that could have sent me into shock. That was Cape Fear something or other hospital. You probably went on post. But if you didn't, I would see about finding something that might be open today.

It would be nice if they told you when you went in that they really weren't going to do anything for you so you didn't waste your time.

Posted by: Sis B at January 31, 2009 12:30 PM

Omigosh! I'm glad to hear from you - I was getting worried.

The hormones, though, they can act weird and do weird things that make no sense.

do tell when you know more.

Posted by: airforcewife at January 31, 2009 12:35 PM

Good luck.

Posted by: David Boxenhorn at January 31, 2009 03:04 PM

An anticlimax is still better than ... the other kind of climax. Nonetheless, what a ripoff! Hours of waiting for "I dunno"!?

I'm surprised you didn't lose it at the end. You embody patience and grace.

You deserve so much better than this, and I will continue to hope for the best.

Posted by: Amritas at January 31, 2009 03:30 PM