August 01, 2008
After two more hours last night and another hour this morning, it's done. And either I'm the worst crocheter in the world, or something was off on that pattern. I specifically chose it because it sounded quick: 126 rows, piece of cake. I had to actually crochet an extra 50 rows just to get the length right. Not as quick as I'd hoped.
Posted by Sarah at August 1, 2008 11:58 AM
It looks great! You do fantastic work, even if it wasn't quite so cake-like. :)
Maybe it was a gauge difference? Like you had a smaller gauge so it took longer than you thought it would? Oh, I also scrolled down to an early July post and saw how you had the yarn in separate bags. That's a great idea, I'm never that organized with multiple colours :P anyway, however long it took, it looks great.
Denise -- Yeah, what I mean is that something was fishy with the gauge. I hit the width spot on, but the height was way off. 4 inches should've been 10 sc + 11 rows, but for me it was 10 sc + 15 rows. I didn't know you could hit the width so perfectly and be SO FAR off the height.
That looks lovely! What a wonderful gift. :)
That is strange. Maybe the pattern meant it to be double-stitch or something, but was written wrong. Yay for finishing, though, regardless. Afghans take forever sometimes.
That's happened to me before where my gauge was fine going across but was off on rows, but that was in knitting. I don't even measure gauge on rows, I just measure length now. Anyways, the afghan looks great!
Worst crocheter - whatever! It is gorgeous. I wish they'd fill in the fine print under any of those patterns with "this may take nearly a month, a migraine and a few seasons of 24 to accomplish. don't plan on having any other goals in life if you'd like to complete this in record time. you may need to take a leave of your day job."